“Those who are very strict in their way of living, they deny themselves many of the joys and pleasures of life because they consider it might interfere with their work.
They are hard masters to themselves. They wish to be well and strong and active, and will do anything which they believe will keep them so. They hope to be examples which will appeal to others who may then follow their ideas and be better as a result.” Edward Bach
Rock Water relates to the soul qualities of flexibility and inner freedom. In the negative Rock Water state you try to fulfil theoretical ideals that are out of touch with what is realistically possible.
People in a negative Rock Water state erect a mental monument of high spiritual ideals, moral guidelines and perfectionist concepts and then feel dwarfed by these and by the responsibility they impose upon themselves to live up to them.
Some of the characteristics to be aware of:
- You have a strong desire for self-perfection
- Your life is ruled by dogmatic theories and high ideals
- You deny yourself many things because they are not compatible with your principles and consequently much of the pleasure in life is lost
- You do everything possible to achieve and stay in top shape, self-discipline is a primary goal
- You’ve set the highest standards and force yourself to live up to them, almost to the point of self-martyrdom
- You’re unaware of the pressures you constantly place on yourself
- You often say “I can’t afford to let myself do this”
- You have a workmanlike approach to spirituality, clinging to one particular practice (meditation techniques, special diet) and turning it into dogma
- You compulsively strive for ever-higher spiritual development without challenging your rigidly fixed ideas
- You don’t finish certain projects because you always think they can be improved upon
- You secretly look down at people who are playful
- You believe that worldly desires inhibit spiritual development, you endeavour to be a “Saint on earth” an ascetic, or a fakir
- You fall into your own trap when meditating by wanting to do it well
- You suppress essential physical and emotional needs, such as exercise, sexuality and food
- You reproach yourself if you’re unable to maintain your self-imposed discipline
- You very strictly adhere to certain principles in your eating habits, whether vegetarian, macrobiotic, or abstinence from alcohol
- You practice the piano until your fingers go numb or ballet until your toes are bloody
- Menstruation can be very painful or disrupted
Even if only one of two of these patterns precisely match your present situation, you need Rock Water.
The positive potential for taking this remedy are you’re able to hold high ideals yet let go of theories and principles if confronted with new insights or deeper truths. You allow your inner child enough room in your life. You’re respectful of both your physical and your spiritual needs, knowing when each is appropriate. You rely on your inner guidance and, due to your natural discipline, are a good example to others.
- I allow myself
- I am curious
- I am spontaneous